Thursday, April 25, 2013

Volunteer Stories- United Planet

Badewa Fashote, 21 years old, Volunteer in 2009
international volunteer in Costa Rica Describe your volunteer work experience.
I volunteered at a local private hospital pharmacy called Hospital La Catolica. My experience entailed shadowing pharmacist on hospital rounds, a site-see visit to the international pharmacy industry company, Calox, and a visit to the University of Costa Rica Pharmacy school.
On a typical day at work, I would come in and work alongside pharmacist as they approved medication orders, filled prescriptions, counsel patients, and listen to drug representatives.
Tell us how you feel overall about your experience.
I would like to thank United Planet for enabling me to embark on this volunteer experience to Costa Rica.
I have found a new love for the Spanish language and I can’t wait to visit Costa Rica again for the second time! Being exposed to a different culture has given me a deeper appreciation for the diverse world I live in. I am anxious to continue to learn more about various cultures, people, and diversity.
I began my experience with a one-dimensional outlook on life because before my trip abroad, I had seen the world from a single lens; my experiences had been confined to the boundaries within my family, my friends, my school, and my neighborhood. But here I am, 3 months post my volunteer experience in Costa Rica and I have grown immensely.
I am grateful for the opportunity to gain global work experience and increase my knowledge of Latin American culture. This volunteer experience has also taught me about how fortunate I am to have the opportunities that many other people around the world do not. I am thankful for the opportunity to be a college-educated student. I now have a better understanding of what responsibility I have to the community and world I live in; we, as humans, are made for each other and are responsible for helping one another out.

No comments:

Post a Comment