Thursday, April 25, 2013

Volunteer Stories- United Planet

http://www.unitedplanet.org/volunteer-stories-0

Sydney Yovic, 23 years old, Volunteer in Chile
What did you hope to gain from and achieve during your United Planet Quest?
To gain perspective on the world we live in as humans, to learn about medicine in other countries and also learn about the cultures in South America.
I love meeting new people and building bonds and friendships with others. I hope to learn whatever possible and to help whoever possible. I am passionate about people and the environment we live in and by going on this Quest, I hope to be a positive member of our planet.
Describe your volunteer work experience.
I worked in the rehabilitation center in the recepcion, playing with the children before their appointments.
Although I was not able to help with direct healthcare, I do feel that I was able to improve the cognitive abilities of a lot of these children. I also believe that a good attitude and a warm smile made their day better as well as eased their anxiety about being in a doctors office.
The volunteer work that I did also gave the hard working parents a small break.
What did you enjoy most about your Quest experience?
My experience in Chile was like a vacation for my soul. I did a lot of work and found myself very tired at the end of the day, but I enjoyed every single minute of it.
My host mom, Maggie Diaz, is probably the most special woman I have been lucky enough to meet. I was only with her for two weeks, but still I felt as though I learned as much from her as I learned in a semester at college. My quest with United Planet was an experience I will always cherish.
international host family in Chile
Tell us how you feel overall about your experience.
My short-term Quest to Santiago, Chile has undoubtedly changed the way I see not only myself, but the world in which we live in. From the moment my plane landed, I was surrounded by incredibly warm and welcoming people who taught me more than I thought I could possibly learn in 2 short weeks. 
The host mom I lived with will always have a big place in my heart, she made every single day a dream for me. My volunteer experience was the most fulfilling work I have ever been a part of.
The children in the rehabilitation center were bursting with spirit and life, despite their disabilities. Each day I left my volunteer site, convinced that the children had made my day better than I could have possibly made theirs.
I would recommend and encourage anyone who shares global ideals with United Planet to sign up for a Quest, I have no doubt that my first Quest won't be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment