Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Connect 123 Testimonial

Amy Caporello

Nursing Intern
Northeastern University
14 December 2010

Working at a Salvation Army hospital in Cape Town was an amazing experience! From the minute I walked onto the floors of the hospital, I felt welcomed and trusted. As a nursing student I was able to work alongside staff and be a part of the team caring for a variety of patients in rehabilitation. I learned about the differences in international healthcare and also spent a lot of time talking to and comforting the patients, along with getting to know the staff that I worked with there.
The hospital is Nurse-led and focuses on creating a plan of care for each individual patient, regarding realistic goals and abilities in order for them to be strong enough to go home. I helped the Nurses and staff with dressing changes, morning care, feeding, occupational therapy, physical therapy and transport. I knew after a couple days that this was not your average internship; this was a chance to care for others and to learn from them as much as they learned from me. Not only did I enjoy experiencing the medical aspect of the hospital, and the different cultures in the area, but I also made a lot of friends there, and fell in love with the kindness and generosity demonstrated by the people I worked with. It is here that I learned the meaning of Nursing, and the compassion and intelligence needed to truly care for someone.
In addition to such a wonderful internship, the city of CapeTown is thriving with culture! There is so much to do and see, and Connect-123 made it easy by organizing events and gatherings to not only meet other interns and students, but to get involved and out of your shell. I met many friends, and used my free time to explore, have fun, travel the area and learn about an amazing country. I will be graduating this spring from Nursing School, and am so glad that I took the opportunity to do something so different and exciting! I hope to one day work internationally again, and if I had it my way, I’d go back to Cape Town in a heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment